• Distance between cooktop kitchen hood chimney

How much Distance is enough between cooktop and kitchen hood/chimney

This article is available in Hindi, Marathi & Gujarati languages.

Important : Home owners shall get Kitchen hoods or chimneys installed from company authorized technician only.

There are two types of kitchen hood- Duct-able & Recirculation- able.

In ductable kitchen hood type, a duct pipe is fixed to the chimney that take away the heat, odor, smoke and other particles out of house. Whereas in Recirculation-able/ recyclable kitchen hood, impurities, smoke, odor, etc. gets filtered and fresh air is circulated through openings.

Out of two, ductable chimneys are observed to be more effective. Recyclable chimney are usually installed in home where there’s no space for ducts to be installed.

But before using the kitchen hood there are few things that one needs to be careful of like distance between the cooking range and the chimney. The distance is universally set i.e. the distance between the gas stove and bottom of chimney shall minimum be 26” and maximum 30” .

No matter what type of cooking range you have like electric cooking range, built in hob or a usual cooktop, the distance to be maintained is same. The distance shall not be less than 26” nor more than 30”.

If the distance happens to be less than 26”, there are chance that chimney/kitchen hood to catch fire. Like suppose if the distance maintained is less and the gas is left turned on with no utensil on it. Here as per chimneys function when it will be turned on, the fan may suck the flame and catch fire.

Similarly, is the distance between the gas-stove and bottom of chimney is kept more, the performance of chimney will reduce. This is because chimney will not be able to take away all the smoke, heat, odor and impurities completely out of the room. Some of it will spread in air because the distance is more than required. Therefore to avoid any major consequences and degrade performance level of chimney, the distance shall be maintained anywhere between 26” to 30”.

This article is available in Hindi, Marathi & Gujarati languages.

Hi! This is Nitin, founder of ContractorBhai.com. We provide Affordable 3D Interior Design Service

1. yugal 7 February 2016 at 12:26 am - Reply

thanks for Info.

2. Subrat 29 April 2016 at 9:52 am - Reply

Thanks a Lot dear team..

3. Saanvi 13 May 2016 at 7:19 pm - Reply

I’m told that a higher suction chimney will be able to work since behind my stove there is a window so distance between stove and bottom of chimney is 4.5 ft. Is this gonna work ?

4. Rajeev. G 16 August 2016 at 8:28 pm - Reply

Is the pipe of the duct of the chimney will see at the bottom?

• contractorbhai 17 August 2016 at 4:41 pm - Reply

Rajeev ji, if I understand correctly, you are asking about end of pipe, right ? should end be pointed up or down ? If that is your question then answer is – best is to keep it straight. If there is no problem in keeping it straight, then leave it like that. This will avoid one more turn in pipe & this way you will avoid extra burden on your chimney.

• contractorbhai 17 August 2016 at 4:43 pm - Reply

Incase you are asking about visible part of duct/pipe connected to chimney/ well most of the time, people hide it behind partition. However there are design concepts, where these pipes are kept visible & it dds to the beauty, but otherwise by default they are hidden through design

5. Ali 13 April 2017 at 12:56 pm - Reply

The distance should be between 65-75 cm
    This is the best

6. Tejaswini 4 June 2017 at 10:33 pm - Reply

I brought a 60cm 1150mm3 elica flat chimney. I have sunflame 4 burner cooktop and a prestige induction heater to operate. Is the chimney sufficient to extract gas in case I operate induction and cooktop simultaneously.

• contractorbhai 6 June 2017 at 2:47 pm - Reply

Tejaswini ji, you really need to talk to chimney manufacturer or an experienced shopkeeper before making a decision.

7. Amit Sharma 5 July 2017 at 5:36 am - Reply

Recently, I bought a hindware revio 60cm chimney 1200 section. The technical visited for installation and made us aware that the minimum distance between cooktop and chimney base must be 34″ else it will catch fire. As per the design of my kitchen the distance available is 27″ which is enough as per the manual. I am confused what to do he didn’t install it and suggested me to get another model with low suction or get my kitchen redesigned. Please suggest what to do.

• contractorbhai 5 July 2017 at 2:58 pm - Reply

Amit ji, please take decision as per expert advice. If company representative says it cannot be used in present design and then you should avoid it.

8. Rahul kumar 12 September 2017 at 7:35 pm - Reply

Sir, I want to install a chimney in my kitchen but the only place for installation is above the window of size 5×6 feet. So I want to know weather it possible to place it above the window or can u help in redesigning the kitchen.

• contractorbhai 13 September 2017 at 11:49 am - Reply

Yes many home owners do install chimney with window right next to gas stove/cooking range.

9. Prabhupad Rath 21 September 2017 at 8:15 pm - Reply

Hi.I have bought hindware company for installation. I want to throw the by 6″ Pipe for 15 feet.Please suggest .

10. Rajoo Solanky 6 October 2017 at 3:05 pm - Reply

Due to height of 33 inches from top of the burner to bottom of chimney I have decided to buy 90 cms with 1200+ suction chimney. I have a window just behind the gas unit & hence given you 33-34 inches. How much would be the loss in performance in the ductable unit.

11. Azhar 14 November 2017 at 4:19 pm - Reply

I have bought 700 suction kutchina chimney and i have just 22 inches space btw chimney and stove… please suggest me if its enough space ..??

12. vinod 8 December 2017 at 11:25 am - Reply

I have the exhaust hole drilled at 95 cms from the granite top. Can you suggest which type of chimneys can be used in this case

• contractorbhai 8 December 2017 at 7:39 pm - Reply

Mr Vinod, it is just not possible to tell using just one piece of information. Ducted chimney are always better if ducting is possible at your place. Please talk to your local kitchen designer or shop keeper who sells chimney before placing order for any chimney.

13. Chandan 28 December 2017 at 2:52 am - Reply

ContractorBhai…I have elica 1100 speed pyramid chimeney and the distance between cooktop and hood is about 30.5 inches. Is it fine, can I go with that?

14. vishwavijay 21 February 2018 at 3:05 pm - Reply

Can we install the Sunflame 90cm Chimney with suction 1230 M cube per hour 5 feet above the gas burner

• contractorbhai 22 February 2018 at 11:05 am - Reply

You have to confirm with company representative or your kitchen designer will help you make decision. Without knowing all details, as such I don’t see any issues. It should work with given limitation, however take final opinion of a local expert.

15. vishwavijay 21 February 2018 at 3:06 pm - Reply

This is because we have a window fitting which is up to the height of 5 feet in front of the gas burner

16. vishwavijay 22 February 2018 at 11:29 am - Reply

But will it be effective

17. vishwavijay 22 February 2018 at 11:29 am - Reply

What would be the so-called limitations

18. vishwavijay 22 February 2018 at 11:42 am - Reply

Why I am asking so much of questions is because usually it is said that chimneys should be fitted maximum 32-36 inches above the gas burner , now if I fix it at 60 inches above the gas burner will it be effective?
    will it serve the purpose of getting the chimney installed?
    Please verify thanks

19. Sandhya shastry 25 February 2018 at 11:06 pm - Reply

Contractor Bhai,we have a rectangular window (5 by 2 feet)in the kitchen which is just below the beam.”Is the remaining height sufficient for a chimney”.Should I reduce the height of a window by 6 inches.I do not want the duct to go outside through the window,rather I can close the window by 6 inches.Since light is little less in the kitchen,I do not want to close it.Please help me deciding this at the earliest.It is very urgent becoz plastering will get over by tomorrow.

• contractorbhai 26 February 2018 at 12:47 pm - Reply

This is a very common situation(window above cooking area. Many home owners install Chimney at higher height then specified in such cases. Chimney efficiency will go down to some extent but that is bets option. You have to get more precise answer from company representative who will fit the chimney or your kitchen designer.