Mumbai +91-9920620009 | Bengaluru +91-9619581413 | Pune +91-8180099423 | Delhi-NCR +91-9920627471|info@ContractorBhai.com
  • Kitchen Electric-Chimney Exhaust Fan Indian Homes

Kitchen Electric Chimney vs Exhaust Fan for Indian Homes

UPDATE: I’m happy to let you know that we are offering "3D Interior Design Service" all across India. Affordbale Service which will Enable you to control Time & Money. Validate all your Renovation Ideas before you start Spending Money 👍

How important is Chimney for Indian Kitchens

Few days back I received a call from a modern Home owner asking, is having a chimney that important than an exhaust fan???

This is what I had to say…

In todays world where air pollution matters a lot, exhaust fan is not sufficient. I suggest all home owners to use chimneys as exhasut fan can only darw out the smoke from kicthen, and not other impurities like carbon and food particles, oilyness, heavy complicated gaseous, etc., that a chimney can draw out. Unlike exhaust fan, chimney can be installed anywhere in the kitchen. Chimney is installed 26”-30” above the cooktop.

In modern world, with modular kitchens in every house, there are cabinets made/installed for storage purposes. There are cabinets made below the platfrm, above the platform, side walls, etc. With Indian kitchens, where oily & masaledar food is been cooked, the smoke/heat generated carries greasy and other impurities settle on the cabinets above the cooktop. Over a period of time, the cabinets will turn yellowish because of the fumes and other heavy complicated gaseous molecule generated while cooking.

If there happens to be no cabinets above the platform, the particles would settle on ceiling or false ceiling. This way either the ceiling or cabinets get affected with impurities where exhaust fans are installed.

But in the same kitchen if home owner has a chimney installed, the smoke, impurities and food particles are drawn out through fan or filters of chimney. Having chimneys saves the ceiling above the cooking area from getting damaged and also smoke spreading to other rooms.

The cleaning task is reduced if you have chimney installed. Chimney can be cleaned every 10-12 days. Whereas with exhaust fan kitchen you will have to clean the cabinets and other furniture on daily basis to prevent them from becoming yellowish. So you see using chimney helps you keep your kitchen and kitchen furniture much cleaner.

If you have both, chimney and exhaust fan installed, then never use exhaust fan while cooking.

Bathroom Vent Fans India

Few home owners can be quite lucky to have a huge window right at the cooking area. Home owners with such kitchen design can save on, but not installing chimney. They rather wouldn’t need one. But for others where window are not on the same side as cooking area, chimneys are best option to maintain kitchen environment.

Function Comparison- Exhaust fan vs Chimney

1 Ductable Chimney = 15 Exhaust Fans
1 Ductless Chimney = 8 Exhuast Fans

One ductable chimney will functions as much as 15 exhaust fans installed in a kitchen. Even if it a recyclable chimney, it functions as much as 7-9 exhaust fan installed in kitchen. So you see the performance level of chimney is much higher than 10 exhaust fan. And the fresh air maintained by chimney keeps you and your family healthy too.

Hi! This is Nitin, founder of ContractorBhai.com. we are bunch of Home Interior Design Enthusiast. Write to info@ContractorBhai.com. Mumbai +91-9920620009 | Bengaluru +91-9619581413 | Pune +91-8180099423 | Delhi-NCR +91-9930930964

1. DEEPIKA 1 April 2016 at 9:57 pm - Reply

Really useful info thanks

2. Feroz Ansari 22 May 2016 at 7:05 pm - Reply

Kindly specify electricity consumption

• contractorbhai 23 May 2016 at 1:12 pm - Reply

Mr Feroz, I do not have exact number to be honest. But I was personally surprised to know that chimney doesnt add to major power consumption. It is equivalent to regular bulb or fan like consumption. If you are looking for exact unit numbers, you will have to check company websites.

3. Raghuram 17 June 2016 at 4:14 am - Reply

I have a window right above the kitchen platform and no cabinets directly above it. I am confused whether to install an exhaust fan over that window or go for a chimney.There is no other exhaust vent anywhere in the kitchen. The space between the top of that window and the ceiling is limited as there is a beam just below ceiling. It is difficult to make a vent there and install an exhaust fan as an electric plug point exists exactly midway. There is a door on the other side of kit
    chen that leads to balcony. Kindly advice what is the best exhaust option for me… A chimney or exhaust fan fixed on window or exhaust fan fixed on top of window (a bit difficult option as electric wiring is to be reinstalled)?

• contractorbhai 17 June 2016 at 11:26 am - Reply

First of all, it is extremely good to have your cooking range in front of window, everyone doesnt get that kind of arrangement. Exhaust fan will be just fine, absolutely no need for chimney. Only exception is if there extremely heavy wind coming inside from window then that can blow off burner flame. Latest designer exhaust fans are slim, do not make noise & take minimum space, just fit it to top corner of your window.

4. Vinod 9 July 2016 at 12:01 pm - Reply

Hi, We also have a window right above the kitchen platform and no cabinets directly above it. Also we currently have a good (Almonard exhaust fan) above the stove, but still both the sides of our walls and the window grills have turned black with grease accumulation. The exhaust fan is slightly protruded towards the inside of kitchen and probably when the fan is on, all the grease s getting splashed on the side walls. Hence request you suggest a remedy for this situation. Do we need to go for a chimney or purchase a much powerful and latest model of exhaust fan. If the the latter, please suggest names of few good chimney brands.

• contractorbhai 10 July 2016 at 7:49 pm - Reply

vinod ji, pls whatapps us few pictures on 9920620009. I will have my Interior designer talk to you to discuss solution.

5. Krishna 26 August 2016 at 2:32 am - Reply

Sir the same problem m having bit confused whether chimney need to installed. But my kitchen is so greasy pls provide me no. I will send u the pic. Pls also tell whether the window size should expand or not
    Thanks a lot

• contractorbhai 26 August 2016 at 4:58 pm - Reply

send picture to 9920620009 & end same message, we will have our Interior Designer look at it.

6. nagaraj 8 October 2016 at 9:46 pm - Reply

I have a doubt that our kitchen is little smaller and there is no much ventilation. If I install a chimney, do I need to remove the ceiling fan which i am using now. I came to know that we should not use while using a chimney as the ceiling fan air will effect the quality of the chimney suction. Is it true. I can install a wall mount fan too, instead of ceiling fan.

• contractorbhai 11 October 2016 at 12:34 pm - Reply

Mr nagaraj, pls send pictures of your kitchen & whatapps us on 9920620009. Call us after that, I will have my Designer make suggestion. CHimney efficiency shouldn’t get affected by use of fan, I have never heard of it. Lot of homes we do, have small Kitchen, sometimes Kitchen made insside balcony or lobby. Chimney always does good job. Fan working can conflict with you cooking range(gas stove), that part you need to confirm.

7. Vinod 13 October 2016 at 8:43 am - Reply

Do we have to use cheminy only when we are cooking

• contractorbhai 13 October 2016 at 4:13 pm - Reply

yes, main purpose is to remove smoke / fumes formed during cooking

8. Rajeev 31 October 2016 at 11:21 am - Reply

In my kitchen I have big window above the burner . I am confused wether to install chimney or exhaust
    Someone told me that chimney require a lot of maintenance
    Plz suggest

• contractorbhai 4 November 2016 at 3:27 pm - Reply

If you have big window near cooking area then probably you dont need chimney. However if you go ahead with chimney, there is not much trouble about maintenance. Chimney product has evolved over years, for little bigger budget you can find chimney with auto-cleaning option. Please do checkout chimney stores in your area & find out all features available before you make decision.

9. Rita 6 December 2016 at 10:58 am - Reply

Which chimney would you suggest from those available in the market. I have been looking at Faber, Franke and Siemens. The price difference is quite huge.

• contractorbhai 9 December 2016 at 1:54 pm - Reply

most branded ones are good at what they claim. We have used Faber & Kutchina chimney in past & they have been good.

10. comrat 14 December 2016 at 6:16 pm - Reply

Namaste! You mentioned previously, that if our kitchen has chimney and exhaust both, then we should not use them together. Please explain this a bit more in detail. Also, in which case, for what purposes should we use the kitchen exhaust [where can it help then], as chimney needs to be ON, only when the “actual cooking” is been done. Much thanks in advance for your time and help!

• contractorbhai 14 December 2016 at 6:34 pm - Reply

as far as cooking is concern, chimney does it job. There is no need for exhaust fan. So we dont see why would someone would require exhaust at all in kitchen.

11. Ruby 9 February 2017 at 1:54 pm - Reply

Do I need to use chimney even if I am only preparing tea or simply boiling water

• contractorbhai 14 February 2017 at 1:07 pm - Reply

if chimney doesn’t make much noise then it probably it will become practice to use chimney every-time you use cooking range. But its completely personal choice

12. Nitin Chopra 9 February 2017 at 4:42 pm - Reply

Hi, We are a bit confused on whether we should install Chimney in our Kitchen or not. If we install chimney , is it necessary to have Exhaust fan too along with it ? OR only chimney should be sufficient ?

We do have a window in our kitchen and also there will be boxes built over the stove , as we are converting our kitchen to modular one.

Any suggestion would be appreciated

Thanks,
    Nitin

• contractorbhai 14 February 2017 at 1:11 pm - Reply

Only Chimney is sufficient. All modular kitchen designers have good idea about keeping chimney in design.

13. Neha 3 April 2017 at 4:36 pm - Reply

Hello, I am lately seeing chimney for my kitchen but I see two types of chimneys. One that is the straight one and the other one which is in 45 degree angle. If i want to install an angled form chimney then how much is it effective then the straight ones?