• Tips designing Modular Kitchen India

6 Tips for designing Modular Kitchen You Can Use Today

This article is available in Hindi, Marathi & Gujarati languages.

(we interviewed our ContractorBhai.com team member who is “Modular Kitchen Expert” . He is designing Modular Kitchens for last 10 years now.)

Q – What style or design of Modular Kitchen are commonly used?
AModular Kitchen comes in 3 basic styles C-shape style , L-shape style and Parallel style. You cab also go for U-shaped style or Island style Modular kitchen. These two styles are ideal for those who work and cook in most leisurely way and have spacious workspace. We then look for the position of sink, cooking area and refrigerator, if they complementing each other or not, as the positions of these 3 components helps make the kitchen an efficient work space.

Q– What is the material used for cabinets for Modular Kitchens? Are they user freindly?
A – You need not worry about the material used for Modular Kitchen as they are user friendly which are water resistant, heat resistant. You will get different materials from natural or lacquered wood, combinations of wood and laminate, laminate and granite, or even aluminum and marble for the cabinets. You can get the cabinets custom made as per your style and choice of material, but its needs to be appropirate for kitchen use. Marine ply is a good cabinet material because of it”s resistance to water. You”ll get matt finished and gloss finished in Marine ply. Either of them can be used as both are equally good. It is quite an economical material. Solid wood cabinets need a lot of care and frequent polishing to retain the lustre. Constant water contact causes solid wood to rot. Firstly, because it gets heated up easily which will make you uncomfortable while cooking and secondly cause they are prone to rusting if not powder coated.

Q– While working in kitchen, there is lot of rough handling of drawers and many a times drawers either get stuck or are difficult to open/close easily, also the edges are quite sharp which hurt. So, I would like to know if its the same with Modular kitchen drawers?
A– You will often notice sharp n pointed edges that hurt, in carpentry work. That is if you getting your kitchen furnished through a carpenter. This is because the laminates used are cut very sharply and the material used leaves a black mark at the edges. In Modular Kitchen, you will not find such sharp edges as the edges are covered with 2 mm pvc edge bending which are hot pressed. This not only gives u a blunt/unsharp edge but also a finished edge

Q – And what are different hardware used while making cabinets and drawers for Modular Kitchens?
A – You have many different materials used like, Telescopic channels are most commonly used. They allow the drawer to open fully so you don”t have to struggle when you need a jar which is at the back of the cabinet. You also get hydraulic hinges that allows smooth and easy opening shutters. You get to choose from a 90 degree hinge or a 165 degree hinge. 90 degree hinges are used for regular cabinets while 165 degree hinges are ideal for corner cabinets under L- shaped platforms.They make cabinets with folding doors easier to open and access. Smooves-a type of hinge has a similar mechanism but are of a higher quality. They are very expensive but worth every penny. Grass channels close at feather touch but never bang shut. So you won”t have to worry for it rough handling. I suggest you to avoid bottom-mounted channels, as the drawers with such channels do not open fully. At least 4 to 6 inches of the drawer remains inside.

Q – Apparently,what is more popular Fully-Modular Kitchen or Semi-Modular Kitchen According to you in India?
A – You will get to see more of Semi-Modular Kitchens then Fully-Modular ones in India. The look of each of them is more or less similar.

Q – In that case, when I enter a store or any kitchen what helps me identify if its a Semi-Modular and Fully-Modular kitchen?
A – That is very easy. You shall notice the base of the structure for that. In Fully-Modular Kitchen the entire structure rests on 4″ or 6″ height , which are standard heights. If you have short woman in house who is going to be spending more time in kitchen then u may choose the structure with 4″ leg height or else 6″ is always an option. While in Semi-Modular Kitchen (work done by civil professionals), you will see a bedding i.e a raised floor which not more then 1.5″ to 2″ in height. Because of this bedding, water will not come in contact with the wooden doors or shutters while n you wash the floor.

This article is available in Hindi, Marathi & Gujarati languages.

Modular Kitchen Contractorbhai Request Quote

Oops! We could not locate your form.

Hi! This is Nitin, founder of ContractorBhai.com. We provide Affordable 3D Interior Design Service

1. PULKIT 23 September 2014 at 2:52 pm - Reply

My kitchen has L shaped. It is 10′ straight, 2′ cut for washing shrink and 2′.5″ width. I want to make modular kitchen. please suggest about material, design and cabinet concept.

• contractorbhai 23 September 2014 at 3:11 pm - Reply

Hello Mr Pulkit,
      make sure ply is Marine ply. Stell trolleys are of 304 grade steel. Laminate is machine pressed. Choose good quality Hettich or Hafele hardware. Avoid spending extra money items like ‘Magic Corner’. if budget allows go for Edge bending & couple of aluminum profile shutters .
      good luck
      Nitin

2. sandip 2 October 2014 at 2:26 am - Reply

how can i confirm that below the machine pressed Laminate, marine ply is there or ordinary ply.

• contractorbhai 3 October 2014 at 1:16 pm - Reply

unfortunately, once you apply laminate or apply some finishing material there is no way to find out inner material.

I know an Architect, who once destroyed one shutter to find out if manufacturer was speaking truth.

Carpentry/furniture work is one such are where there humongous opportunities to lie & cheat. If you find something too good to be true, for sure some material is compromised. Home Owners liek contractors who under quote or negotiate rates, in turn get cheated.

3. vamsi 27 December 2014 at 9:22 am - Reply

hi nitin
    this is vamsi.my kitchen L-shape +parallel type semi modular.I am at present in Delhi and buying a fllat in hyd.what is best ply for shutters,best brand for acc.Is it better to get it done frm local carpenters with material transported frm delhi or transport the custom made kitchen frm delhi or get the kitchen frm godrez or sme other brands.pl advise.

• contractorbhai 27 December 2014 at 1:17 pm - Reply

Irrespective of where you get it done, Marine ply for shutters is must. Kitchen & Bathrooms are 2 areas inside house where you have to use Marin ply.

Regarding transporting things from Delhi to Hyderabad, I am not sure about it. Hyderabad has so many kitchen vendors ( big branded, medium sized & small local vendors) you have all options, why would you think of transporting material from delhi ? Please work out total ccost & decide. good luck

4. Salah 31 December 2014 at 4:04 pm - Reply

Hi Nithin,

Do you have any idea about Electro plated materials to use for kitchen cabinets instead of marine play? How good that will be in terms of durability, style and cost. I have no idea what kind of materials they are using to get plated. but its some metals for sure. Please suggest.

With Regards,

• contractorbhai 31 December 2014 at 11:20 pm - Reply

I have never seen any Indian Kitchen that does that. Do you know that many Developed countries have banned electroplated items, reason is it is not hygienic perhaps. I am not able to understand why would someone use lectroplated material inside kitchen, pls give me call I am curious to understand more about situation. +91-9920620009

5. HARISH 6 January 2015 at 5:18 pm - Reply

Hi Nitin, This is Harish from Patna, Bihar.

I have a small kitchen of size 8.5′ x 6.5′ having L shape concrete slab 8.5′ X 2′ and 6.5′ x 2′ i.e with sink at one corner of 6.5′ x 2′ slab. The slab height is 32” from floor level. The floor level under L shape slab is 0.5′ higher than rest floor level of the kitchen. I want to install modular kitchen, in it. Please advise me about the best brand of modular kitchen manufacturer or should I get it manufacturer by local carpenter. Also please advise about various types & quality of materials to be used for modular kitchen. What is your opinion about stainless steel modular kitchen and its cost compared to normal kitchen material made with boards.
    Thanks.

• contractorbhai 7 January 2015 at 7:01 am - Reply

Hello Mr Harish

You have both options open – get it from branded company or hire a local kitchen hardware shop.

Baiscs are very simple & clear.

1) Trolleys should SS 304
      2) Hardware good quality – try to use branded as much your budget allows
      3) Shutters should strictly use Marine Plywood

Only thing which your carpenter will do differently is lamination of shutters. Carpenter will do it manually like old fashion. If you can get Machine Pressed laminate on shutters they will give way better finish.

Regarding Stainless steel Kitchen – it is new trend in market. Most Indians wait for people to try things. It is common in commercial kitchens not in residence. Highly durable, easy to clean, will make noise all the time & super costly. Looks Excellent but again its completely new thing – it may look good to you for few months but not in long run.

Can you please email/call me – I want to know more about stainless steel kitchen.

good luck

6. Ar. Vinaya K 28 January 2015 at 6:23 pm - Reply

Hi, I m Ar. Vinaya from Pune.
    I m shifting in a new flat & I m looking for a modular kitchen to fit into our budget
    Our kitchen is 8’6″x8’6″ having 14′ running length including 2′ sink length.
    As I m an architect, I wanna design it as per my requirement & I will execute it with our known carpenters.
    I m just confused about material costing. Please suggest me some good , durable & cost effective material for the same.
    Does material play imp role in costing?

• contractorbhai 28 January 2015 at 7:04 pm - Reply

Material definitely plays imp. role. Steel Trolley made out of 302 grade is cheap whereas 304 grade is costly. Plywood for shutters has to be good. Hardware is biggest cost decider. Madam, please drop me text message or give me call, I will connect you with my Kitchen Designer for more detail options. Cell# 9920620009

7. HI, its anagha from pune 10 February 2015 at 4:45 pm - Reply

i like machine press shutters but ply inside it used has no gaurantee of marine or any other, and vendors do works for modular kitchen dont do shutter dat much smooth, what to do , pls suggest is their any trustworthy wendor who do both work

• contractorbhai 11 February 2015 at 10:50 am - Reply

There is a trick. the holes which get screwed inside shutter, you have opportunity to check ply quality. But again, a home owner cannot make out , you need some other professional to verify it.

8. Mohamed Faisal 30 April 2015 at 11:15 am - Reply

What are opinion of the PVC board such as Multiwood, parkawood, Gratwood etc… used in kitchen cabinets

What is best material for kitchen ?and how can it life?

9. priya 11 July 2015 at 12:46 pm - Reply

hi nitin,
    i m planing to move in my new flat(noida). the size of kitchen is 10″*7″ft. what things i keep in mind when i talk to a person about modular kitchen.do u know any person in this field(Noida)

10. Sarika verma 24 August 2015 at 3:11 am - Reply

Hi nitin
    I hv vry small kitchen. Counter top is of granite. But it’s on the concrete slap. And down d counter thr r no shelfs means no wooden work is done in d kitchen . Now we r planning to make d cabinets under d counterpoint.So some of our carpenters are suggesting that we shld break all d granite and make it complete modular kitchen. can u suggest me that is it necessary to break d countertop for modular kitchen. And wht wl be d drawbacks if we do d ply work under d concrete slab. Is it moisture wl be thr always or a cockroaches wl come or any other problem. And wht is good for shutter ply mdf or hdf or normal ply. Is it we shld use mica on ply or paint or Polish.
    Thnx.

• contractorbhai 24 August 2015 at 12:11 pm - Reply

Hello Sarikaji
      There were few more details, I wanted to know before giving exact answers, however here are few quick points :
      1) Many a times it is suggested to break exisiting platform so that new design easiy takes up standard size trolleys.
      2) USE MARINE PLYWOOD ONLY. Yes use good quality marine ply, there will be no issue of moisture.
      3) Plywood is commonly used under countertops, mainly to fit trolleys & hardware. There is no problem
      4) Fully modular means, that even granite countertop can be removed (dismantled) in future. Even platform base could be dismantled without doing much damage. So what yoru contractor is suggesting is not fully modular & it sounds alright. Most (99%) Indian kitchens are made using Granite & Marble structure. Then Hardware/trolleys are fitted inside. Shutters are made out of plywood ( marine recommended). And many a times, it is ok to use marine plywood for internal partition as well.

11. Sumanth 31 August 2015 at 1:21 pm - Reply

Hello sir,
    What is the difference between BWR AND BWP plywood,?
    What is the block board?
    Which brand hardwares are good for modular kitchen.

• contractorbhai 31 August 2015 at 6:23 pm - Reply

bwr – boiling water-resistance
      bwp – boiling water-proof

block boards are used from framing – example bed framing.
      Hettich is good.

12. Sumanth 31 August 2015 at 6:30 pm - Reply

Hello sir,
    Thank you for your reply..
    Which plywood is good for shutters,tv unit pooja unit & wall unit?
    Other than hettich which brand is good?

• contractorbhai 31 August 2015 at 6:55 pm - Reply

inside kitchen & bathroom strictly go with marine plywood.

Every other room can use commercial plywood.

hettich hafele ebco & then there bunch of local hardware brands

13. b k chouhan 6 November 2015 at 7:35 pm - Reply

sir altima channel is good for kitchen

14. Sandeep 10 January 2016 at 11:50 pm - Reply

Hi Nitin ,

I am from Pune and getting some kitchen cabinets done. I have visited a couple of vendors as well.

For the shutters/cabinet doors exterior coating – i am confused.
    There are so many materials – laminated, PU , PVC Membrane – matt/gloss, Acrylic, Glass back painted.
    (Aluminium Profiles which i believe is the border – is combined with these).
    Today i saw a Glass which has been pasted /pressed on the wood (It has no borders which are seen with usual aluminium profiles).

The vendor i spoke to told me that in terms of longevity – laminate is the best.
    Yes for modern sleek look – others are coming in play. Even for those he suggested Glass
    (either frosted with aluminium profile, back painted with aluminium profile)

My Q – Which one is preferable for Indian Kitchens ?

15. Trev 11 January 2016 at 12:25 pm - Reply

Is it True that not many Windows can be given while designing modular kitchens.. because the Upper cabinets block the windows

16. Arpit Kumar 14 January 2016 at 12:13 am - Reply

What is the difference between Marine ply and Boiling water proof plywood. which is the best for shutters.

• contractorbhai 14 January 2016 at 10:18 am - Reply

Boiling Water proof is excellent add on to commercial ply or rather a plywood that is not marine. Highly recommended if your budget allows it. However for Bathroom & Kitchen strictly go for Marine ply. EVen if Marine ply is from not so popular brand, stick to marine ply for these two areas.

17. Jasmeet singh 27 January 2016 at 12:04 am - Reply

I am from delhi and getting some kitchen cabinets done. I have visited a couple of vendors as well.

For the shutters/cabinet doors exterior coating – i am confused.
    (Aluminium Profiles which i believe is the border – is combined with these).

18. Nitish Singh 27 May 2016 at 12:33 pm - Reply

My kitchen is of 11’*7′ is under construction please guide me for semi modular kitchen…

19. Varun 7 August 2016 at 10:15 am - Reply

Hi Nitin, I am looking to get a modular kitchen done in palava city apartment. Do you know any trustworthy vendor who can do the work. Thanks!

• contractorbhai 8 August 2016 at 12:08 pm - Reply

Hello Varun, we have done work previously in Lodha Palava, call # 8291627887 for more details

20. Pixie 11 August 2016 at 7:18 pm - Reply

Hi – Can you tell me which one might cost more – I need to build some kitchen cabinets and am considering either Aluminium frame profile with frosted glass shutter or regular laminate shutters with good quality BWR ply (or whatever is usually used in the kitchen – my interior decorator will take care of that).

Hope you can advise.

• contractorbhai 13 August 2016 at 11:52 am - Reply

There are several factors like choice of laminate, hardware selection that can increase or decrease price drastically. In general Aluminum profile with frosted glass will come out to be bit costlier then other one. Ofcourse are assuming good quality durable material. At my house, I have mix of both, laminated shutters, as well frosted ones. You can make beautiful designs mixing both of them. Profile with glass gives industrial modern look, but too much of it, will not make kitchen look good. See if your designer can have best of both.

21. Sanjay Gupta 22 August 2016 at 8:23 am - Reply

Hi… Can u please advice what are advantage using Acrylic over laminates. Do u give services in Navi Mumbai. I have visited couple of kitchen manufacturers and like the look of acrylic over laminates. Please advice advantages or disadvantages of both the material.I am also interested in whole house interiors.

• contractorbhai 22 August 2016 at 10:11 am - Reply

Acrylic gives good looks in glossy finish. Also edge bending is done nicely, doesn’t show lines/cuts. However laminates have also evolved amazingly over last few years. There are laminates available from Rs 1200 to Rs 10,000 . So you get unbelievable variety in laminates. Go with modular kitchen maker, who can make furniture as per your selection of laminate & not limit you to a small catalogue. Regarding design whole house, call 9920620009 for details of our Interior Design service

22. Subir 8 September 2016 at 8:53 am - Reply

Hi – I have a 10.9 x 8 feet parallel kitchen. I want to know what is the cost difference between laminating a ply vs PU finish? In the long run, which one is more durable (Laminate or PU)? Can we do PU finish on marin ply (i understand that PU palette finish can be obtained on MDF like ply only?)

• contractorbhai 9 September 2016 at 6:39 pm - Reply

Sir, I am not sure if I have understood your question correctly. Laminate ( Decorative laminate ) is better option inside kitchen compared to any other Polish options over wood/veneer. I am not sure if you can do PU Polish or Lamination Polish directly on wood surface, it is commonly done on Veneer.

Secondly, MDF should be avoided at any cost inside Kitchen.

23. Heena 21 September 2016 at 3:28 pm - Reply

Hello
    I am from Indore, MP wanted to know that if we want to make modular kitchen then the granite platform should be made on the concrete base or any other thing such as frames as somebody told me that instead of placing granite on concrete place it on the frame so that when u want to make modular kitchen it can be easily made.

• contractorbhai 22 September 2016 at 7:28 pm - Reply

Kitchen platforms are made using Granite & Marble frame. Use of concrete/RCC is no longer in fashion. This is valid irrespective of whether you make semi-modular kitchen or not.

24. Ajay Patil 9 January 2017 at 2:42 pm - Reply

Can one have marine ply(as cabinet shutter, kitchen trolley shutter) with machine press laminates that is with slight circular corners? I want to use G profile handles. It corners are too circular then difficult to use G profile handles.

25. Shilpa 7 March 2017 at 3:43 pm - Reply

Hi Nitin

I have a 10.9 x 8 feet parallel kitchen with 2 platforms provided by the builder,now i want to make it as semi modular kitchen involving 8 trolleys and 10 overhead boxes,can you please tell me the cost if i go for marine ply and also if i chose acrylic.

26. Basraj Itagi 30 April 2017 at 9:34 pm - Reply

Hello Sir,

I stays in Dombivli and have L type kitchen. 8 feet straight and 2 feet on L shape. Is it possible to get Modular kitchen with top Cabinets within Rs. 35,000/-

27. Anita 3 May 2017 at 10:08 pm - Reply

Hello Nitinji

Thanks for providing such valuable information.

I am making an open kitchen connected to the LR, therefore, aesthetic is kind of important. I’m thinking of going with Marine/Green/Century, SS 304, and Hettich. I would prefer to make a skirting base 3-4″ as a frame.
    1. Can you kindly suggest what material to use for the skirting? Can I use Marine or you can suggest something else?
    2. How to find a vendor who can do machine pressed lamination or acrylic for the shutters in Kol?

Best regards

• contractorbhai 5 May 2017 at 2:15 pm - Reply

You have to find a Kitchen designer or contractor who does complete job. He/she will take care of all items including laminate pressing. Not advisable to hire/buy services for individual items within modular kitchen.

For base, create a Marble/Granite platform base. THis will take care of skirting requirement.

28. chetan chakor 18 June 2017 at 11:41 am - Reply

Sir
    What should be used for kitchen trolley frame
    Powder coated ms or ss

29. princey 1 July 2017 at 2:24 pm - Reply

i HAVE BUILDER GIVEN NICE 6 fts GRANITE PLATFORM PLACED ON MARBLE SLAB UNDERNEATH. And below that kitchen platform I have three marble slab standing making three nice spacious partitions . Now I want to use Hetitch drawer system in each partition but I want to know how can I start. do I ned to make separately again cabinet carcasses to place in these readymade partitions? or I can directly put fittings of drawers on these marble slab standings ? plz reply where to start from.

• contractorbhai 4 July 2017 at 6:21 pm - Reply

Please hire an experienced Kitchen service provider. Most of the time, wooden verticals are fitted before you fix hardware.

30. Rishikesh umredkar 2 July 2017 at 6:30 pm - Reply

In modular kitchen what other we can use other than style
    Upper.of the.granite

31. kirti 5 July 2017 at 4:24 pm - Reply

hi..what is the differance between ss 202 & ss304..& how to identyfiy the trolly is ss304 or not?

• contractorbhai 5 July 2017 at 5:12 pm - Reply

304 is superior. If you have a 20-30 year old steel plate or glass at home, and it has not rusted yet, it had good quality steel. Same applies for trolleys. Unfortunately it is very difficult to know exact grade/quality. Buy things from trusted/reputed vendors.