• Extending Room taking Flower Bed inside

How to extend your house using Flower Beds

First and foremost – you have to take permission from the Society. When you take Flower Bed space inside your home, you end up changing Elevation (look) of the building. Once the society gives you permission then you have to see whether the place can be enclosed, how much load it will take and if brick work can be done. Only after all these consideration, you can decide what kind of new construction can be done.

Officially, you have to consult a RCC designer before you do the work. The RCC designer tells you if the beam or column is capable of taking the load where you are constructing. This is important because if not done correctly, it can damage some part of building. Also by law, in certain cases you have to take permission from BMC for the work you are doing. Sometimes you may have to pay some formal fees to the BMC for the work.

If you are living in a society, where already, other neighbors has added flower Bed inside, then things are very straight forward for you. Because your neighbors have already done all discovery work.

About the Author:

Hi! This is Nitin, founder of ContractorBhai.com. We provide Affordable 3D Interior Design Service


  1. suraj 19 July 2014 at 1:36 pm - Reply

    sir i have a 3bhk flat in andheri west amboli and purchased a resale flat…Full oc was obtained on 20 jan 2009..now we have enclosed the flower beds and total enclosure goes to 94 sqft. now i want to know csn this flower bed be officially regularized by BMC by paying some penalty??? if yes plz suggest the rpocess

    • contractorbhai 19 July 2014 at 4:50 pm - Reply

      Your can never get BMC clearance for any flower bed covered inside. OC given in beginning is final decision of authorities. More then 70% of the Mumbai buildings extend homes as soon as they get opportunity. However on paper these are not legal.

    • suraj 29 July 2014 at 3:35 pm - Reply

      Sir so is there any difference between balcony enclosure and flower bed enclosure??

      • contractorbhai 29 July 2014 at 5:16 pm - Reply

        Mr Suraj, in general bigger space is known as balcony & flower beds are small extensions/space, which you really cannot use efficiently . Most new projects dont give much of balcony.

  2. jimit kothari 11 January 2016 at 9:07 am - Reply

    we have 3bhk house in mumbai,
    we have taken around 1 foot in length of floor bed in side the room.
    will it cause any harm ?
    can society object against it ?

  3. Santanu 25 February 2018 at 6:36 pm - Reply

    Hi Nitin, Thank you for posting this article.I have recently purchased a 2bhk in Thane. We have a chajja just behind one of the window.
    I want to break the wall below the window so that the chajja can be accessible. But I am not planning to take it inside the home.
    But use it as a flower bed. Looking forward to your expert advice. Please suggest.

    • contractorbhai 26 February 2018 at 12:57 pm - Reply

      any such activities are illegal construction. No society or Municipal authority allows. Many Societies let-go such extensions but will never write it on paper. They will let you make changes to constructed structure but finally it is Home Owners responsibility.

      purpose of chajja is to cover your window, protect it from rain & sun. It is not constructed to hold weight. Lighter objects are fine but do not keep heavier objects.

  4. Ketul 23 August 2018 at 10:08 am - Reply

    I have purchased a flat in Navi Mumbai and the builder has provided flower beds in kitchen as well as in the bedrooms. In kitchen, I want to simply level the floor of the flower bed with the kitchen and install tiling to make it even and use the flower bed area to put in kitchen sink. My builder is creating rukus out of this and not allowing me to proceed. I would like to know what legal rights do I have to use the flower beds which is definitely part of my house. Can the builder dictate on the usage of the flower bed areas??

    • contractorbhai 23 August 2018 at 11:57 am - Reply

      Any extension work you do is illegal. When builder constructed building he submitted design to authorities and got approval for same. Any extension you do after is illegal. No society or builder or local authority will give you permission in writing . This is illegal. Having said that majority of Mumbai & surrounding region has done some or other illegal extension. People live with it until BMC or authority takes action. If builder is not allowing it, you cannot do it. You have no rights to fight against society or builder or any authority, simply because it is illegal.

  5. Pra 4 October 2018 at 5:28 am - Reply

    Sir my Above Neighbour has illegally extended his balcony by going out of the building parameters.He has put low quality angles to carry out the extension.niw since the society has not taken any action the same person has done it for both his flats extending all his windows.

  6. Jigar Kotak 3 April 2019 at 7:00 pm - Reply

    I am looking to buy an apartment, in Mumbai where the builder is proving a Chajja that extends to 4 feet, I was wondering if there is a possibility of putting a railing to use it as a balcony? and if so where can I find out how much load it could take and if there is any other way to install a railing / balcony that can actually take the load & there is no load as such on the chajja.

    Thank you, waiting for a reply.

    • contractorbhai 19 April 2019 at 5:20 pm - Reply

      It is chajja, technically it is not suppose to bear any further weight.

  7. Krishnan 11 May 2019 at 7:58 am - Reply

    I have a balcony in the first floor of a multi-storey building. To avoid injuries arising from people throwing stuff from above that can be fatal or result in a mishap,I have covered with a aluminium patra. Is it legal and allowed given the circumstances.

    The person residing above complains of noise disturbance when rain falls on it. Is there a solution to this.


    • contractorbhai 20 May 2019 at 11:02 am - Reply

      Rain fall noise on patra/aluminum sheet is real nuisance. You could have used fibre sheet that makes less noice.
      Is it legal ? No its not!
      Any extended structure or enclosure is not legal, but lot of people do it.

Leave A Comment