About Author : Rahul Chhedha, is a Building Redevelopment Enthusiast & Advisor. You can reach him at cell# +91-9322097004. Below articles are intended for informational purposes only.

Before starting any construction or reconstruction work government approval is very much essential. This could include even building an additional wall or breaking it.

For a home owner making any changes in his own apartment like breaking or building up a new wall, he himself needs to take society permission. This is because at times the structure probably will not bear extra load or the wall is very much important part of the structure and cannot be hampered. Ti make sure that the building won’t be disturbed, home owner shall take permissions.

But when it comes to taking permissions or approvals for society under the process of redevelopment, not one single home owner but society as whole plays a major role. Usually all the legal work and documentation is done by builder or contractor which is then forward to the society members. Redevelopment plan is for entire society and not for one single home owner. To sum it up, every single home owner play an important role for approval, agreements and permission too. Though they need not have to go physically to government office to do the needful. A builder needs approval from both society members or home owners and government too to plan and start the work. It works as a chain i.e Home owner- Society- Builder – Legal Person. Any kind of negotiations, meetings, etc are held in this format.

Allotment letter

You must have often heard of this term. But truly there’s nothing like allotment letter. There’s an agreement signed between the builder and home owner to where the allotment details of an apartment of respective homeowner is mentioned. This is in case of re-development projects. In new building a homeowner will buy an apartment of his choice but as per the availability. In re-development when the builder and the society decides which flat is to be given to which member that is been notified in the agreement.

Possession Letter and OC

Possession letter is like NOC where the local sanctioning authority says if the reconstruction/ redevelopment work is complete in all respect. Occupation certificate i.e. OC means one can occupy the home or building/ society for the purpose it has been permitted for. These are the final documents mentioning that said work is complete and can be occupied.

To know if the contractor or builder has trurly recieved a OC here is how youcan check-

Ask builder if local corporation water supply has started coming? Ask the builder if he can give you copy of OCcupation certficate -OC and completion certificate -CC from received from local coporation.

This is very important for a home owner to know that water supply will never start without CC and OC.

If you have recieved a possession letter without seeing OC or CC then it is as good as illegal from the corporation point of view. If the water supply hasn’t started and CC or OC is not received by the builder then the construction is as good as illegal for the time till the said documents are received.

Pls insist on “seeing” and “not believing on anyone’s words.”

Other Alterations post Occupancy

Incase a home owner wants to cover or include balcony area in apartment, he shall share the  same with builder after acquiring possession letter and OC too. Any similar changes inside the apartment shall be done after the builder receives OC. In case if a home owners is wanting to do it before receiving OC,the builder will not allow to do so.

OC is generally received within 60-90 days after application.

Fot more details, you can contact our team-ContractorBhai.com.

When to ask for or give NOC

A home owner can ask for NOC when the apartment is planned for resell. NOC is required to show or guarantee that the existing home owner is left with no dues pending or there is no Len mark. It Means there is no loan taken on that particular apartment. Incase there is no society formed the Certificate needs to be taken from the builder.